Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MATLAB for Traders!

Many traders are now using MATLAB for developing algorithmic trading strategies. If you have read the books on Quantitative Trading by Dr. Ernie Chan than you must be knowing that he uses MATLAB in his quantitative trading strategies. His books Algorithmic Trading Winning Strategies and Their Rationale and Machine Trading Deploying Computer Algorithms to Conquer the Markets have many MATLAB based quantitative trading strategies. MATLAB is a ideally suited for algorithmic trading strategy development. But is it not free like R and Python. MATLAB is a commercial software.  A few years ago, buying MATLAB was very expensive. You had to pay something like $2K for a license. But recently last year. MathWorks have reduced the price drastically and now you can buy a license for MATLAB for something like $97.

MATLAB is a solid product. MATLAB is being used extensively for higher research in universities and many technology companies. MATLAB is solely focused on mathematical, scientific and engineering applications. There are many advantages of using MATLAB now keeping in view the reduced price. You have a solid software that you can use to develop algorithmic trading strategies using machine learning, deep learning and other quantitative methods. MathWorks the parent company keeps on developing new modules for their product and keeps on updating the existing modules so you don't have to worry about things that can distract you from your trading.

This is something that makes MATLAB superior to Python. Python has problems when you try to install modules. For example, recently I tried very hard to install Zipline algorithmic trading library. It didn't work. I even installed a new Python 3.5 library as the Zipline Github page was saying it works for  Python 2.7 and 3.5 On 2.7, it worked but on 3.5, it am getting the ImportModuleError: Can't Import RLOCK. With MATLAB you won't face these types of difficulties. Python is single threaded due to GIL. MATLAB can be multithreaded. So you can use parallel programming to speed up the execution of your scripts on MATLAB. The community support is also excellent. If you read books on probability, statistics, monte carlo and stuff like that you will find many books providing MATLAB code. I have started this thread. In this thread we will learn basic MATLAB.

Subscribe My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUE7VPo...F_BCoxFXIw

Join Our Million Dollar Trading Challenge:
https://www.doubledoji.com/million-dolla...challenge/